Friday, December 21, 2018

Illustrated Sexual Classic

As a former college instructor, I learned through pedagogical courses and experience that people learn in different ways. While models may suggest that you can be a physical learner or a visual learner or one of several other types what I observed when teaching and from myself is that generally we learn best in multiple ways. The newest edition of Janet W. Hardy's The Sexually Dominant Woman: an illustrated guide for nervous beginners is a mixture of the visual and the verbal with the options of solitary or social tossed into the mix. I think this makes the book very inviting and useful to newcomers to the concept of women in the sexual lead. I've also taught numerous classes about BDSM and femdom relationships and I know that kinky folks still hunger for information particularly if they are not living in a big city where organizations may exist who can provide hands-on and mentorship. Other people simply don't to explore outside of a committed relationship or they may be shy. A book like this can provide a good resources for all of these folks who are curious about female top dynamics. I was sent a free copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I have three versions of this book.


The first was a gift from my husband when we still did kink together before we figured out that our interests didn't overlap enough to really make it enjoyable.


The second I got because I had women (and some men) approaching me to be a mentor and I wanted to read the newer version before recommending it.


This 25th anniversary edition has made the text more inclusive and the images are some of the most diverse and reflective of the kink community that I have seen in any book about BDSM. I took a photo of a two-page section just to give you an example; I picked randomly.


I love the fact that multiple first scenarios are presented instead of the starter scene from the first edition. I also love that other books that you might find useful are highlight both in the text and at the end of the book. I will admit I was disappointed not to see my own book, At Her Feet, mentioned since it is from the same publisher, but currently it is only available as an ebook and an audiobook.

Some people might complain that the book is too focused on safety but I did not feel that way. This is a book directed toward newbies not experienced people. You know what? some of us folks who have been doing this for decades still take safety quite seriously and am grateful we had those cautious drilled into us years back. I think this is a great introductory book and I hope if you are looking for last minute gifts for the holidays or for Valentine's Day in 2019, you will consider this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment