Wednesday, July 17, 2019

You First!



Donald Trump has said that anyone who doesn’t like living in the United States should leave.  Well, Mr. Trump, I say, “You First!”

What’s that you say? You love America? You wouldn’t want to live anywhere else?  Bullshit!

If you were so happy here, you wouldn’t be changing so many things to fit your view of a perfect America.

You wouldn’t have nominated sycophants like Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court so you can have a majority of justices who will deem unconstitutional those laws that you don’t like or that you don’t benefit from.

You wouldn’t have thousands of immigrants, including babies as young as four months old locked in cages, and treated worse than animals in facilities which are making a huge profit for your campaign contributors.

You wouldn’t be dismantling the agencies that prevent the rape of our natural resources because they get in the way of profit for your friends.  

If you were happy here, you’d embrace the entire country and understand that Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands have just as much right to disaster relief as Texas or Louisiana.

And you certainly wouldn’t be taking advice from the likes of Kim Jong Un and Vladamir Putin because you’d know that a democracy is as different from a dictatorship as chalk is from cheese.

Mr. Trump, I love my country.  I haven’t liked it as much as I did before you swore an oath to defend the constitution (which, by the way, you obviously lied about).  But I do love her.  Several years ago I visited Fort McHenry and watched the film presentation about the history of that famous battle which gave us our national anthem.  And when those first few notes played, and the curtains opened to show the flag of this country proudly waving in the breeze, I got a lump in my throat and tears welled in my eyes.  Some might say that means I’m corny and they may be right.  I think it means I have a far greater regard for this land than you will ever have.  


And even if I don’t like the country as much as I did prior to January 20, 2017, I have no desire to leave because I know that you and your kind won’t last forever.  Sooner or later the tide will turn because people like me will stick around and make it turn.  No sir, we’re not going anywhere but you should.

No comments:

Post a Comment